The National LGBT+ Police Network is a representative body for lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans Police groups present in the 43 police forces across England, Wales & Northern Ireland.
The purpose of the network is to:
- Provide a reference to stakeholders in the Police Service, the wider criminal justice sector and LGBT+ organisations on LGBT+ issues in policing
- Support the development of local and regional LGBT+ staff support networks
- Represent local and regional LGBT+ staff support networks on issues collectively faced
- Support police forces and national police establishments in the development of operational policing knowledge and services that will enhance services to the LGBT+ community
- Support police forces and national police establishments in being representative and inclusive of the LGBT+ community
Membership to the Network is available for the LGBT+ staff support networks of police forces of England, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands; this includes the territorial forces delivering local policing services and the national forces and agencies delivering policing services on a national scale in the United Kingdom.
Local LGBT+ staff support networks are run by their own employees, constables and volunteers and they will comply with local Force policy on staff support networks, but are also members of Regional Networks, in line with existing structures in the police service.
Each region has a lead, known as the ‘Regional Lead’, which is decided upon by a nominated representative of each active local network in that region. National forces or agencies are combined into a virtual region, but all are individually represented on the National Co-ordinating Group and may develop links with local networks to ensure their geographically disparate staff have access to local support and activities.
The LGBT+ Police Network is supportive of all lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans people, regardless of their background or characteristics. This is encompassed in our ‘Value Statement’ which can be found here.